Pages

Thursday 22 November 2012

The Horror of Halloween Night in a Haunted Home (Part One)


It was the 31st of October, the night of All Hallow’s Eve, and I was one again amidst the company of my most mysterious friend, Mr Silas, in the confines of his large estate in the country. Far from our usual busy conversation, this night we sat in silence, keeping ourselves occupied. This state of affairs was indeed all my own fault as I had developed a somewhat of an irrational fear of staying within Silas’ home that night and so could not bring myself to make merry chatter. The preposterous worry stemmed from this: it had become a regular occurrence when in Silas’s company that at around the stroke of midnight, something macabre and extraordinary would take place. As tonight was Halloween, I felt sure in my heart that another queer incident was sure to happen.
The grandfather clock chimed, like a death toll, in the corner followed by twelve after-tones. It was time.
I tried to hide my fear. ‘Well, I must be going now, Silas. I’m dreadfully sorry but I’ve just remembered…’ I searched my mind for an excuse. ‘My wife. She wants me home urgently.’
‘But, Smedley,’ said my friend, bemused. ‘You don’t have a wife.’
‘Ah, precisely. That is why it is so urgent; I am getting married. Tonight. Isn’t that wonderful? Goodbye.’
Silas stared at me awhile; I could feel his steely grey eyes gazing into me. I was sure he had seen the real reason for my sudden leave. I would have to explain it all. I could almost hear my reputation being torn to shreds before me.
‘Nonsense, you cannot leave now,’ he said. ‘Tell your fiancée to reschedule. We are to tell ghost stories round the fire. After all, it is the witching hour.’
‘No!’ I hollered, unable to control myself. ‘I need the… lavatory.’
I left before my friend could utter another word. I walked slowly down the corridors of the house, trying to move with as little sound as possible so would be able to make out any other sounds that arrived. Those incidents always started with a noise; a scratching in the wall, the ringing of a doorbell…
I heard a creak upon the stairs.
Well, that was a new one.

Return tomorrow to find out what else is new in the continuing adventures of Silas and I. If you beilieve your frail dispositions can stand it...

No comments:

Post a Comment