Pages

Monday 3 December 2012

The Singular Story of Silas' Sibling (Part One)


‘Have I ever told you of my family, Smedley,’ said Silas, from the armchair next to me.
I was most astounded at the sudden comment partly because my friend had never mentioned anything about his relatives before that very moment but also because I had not realised he was sitting next to me. Silas often crept up me like that; he said it kept me on my toes.
‘I am the youngest of seven children,’ he continued. ‘I have four brothers and three sisters. We have limited contact and only come together once a year.’
‘I see.’ I was finding the rush of information exhilarating but there was something amiss. ‘Why exactly are you telling me this, old boy?’
‘Because, Smedley,’ he said, reclining in his chair. ‘One of my siblings is waiting in the drawing room.’
We made our way downstairs in silence; my head was swimming with ideas about who could be waiting for us. Would they be anything like their brother?
Inside the drawing room stood a portly man in a grey suit with thinning hair swept back to cover his bald spot. He had an air of authority about him as he thrust out his considerable stomach and held his lapels.
‘Good day, Silas,’ he said in a measured tone.
‘Good day,’ my friend said with a wry smile. ‘You know there’s really no need for that ridiculous disguise anymore. Surely you knew I‘d recognise you.’
‘Oh, very well,’ said the newcomer.
In all my years as a stalwart companion to Silas I never saw anything quite as bizarre as this occasion. The man whom I had taken to be Silas’ brother ripped off his suit in a few seconds and the pillows it was stuffed with to reveal a sleek feminine figure in a purple dress. It was most disconcerting to behold the juxtaposition between a balding male head atop such a body.
‘What in God’s name is it, Silas?’
‘Oh, have I left the face on? Sorry,’ said the stranger, in a very different voice. In the blink of an eye, the face was peeled off exposing the features of a woman around thirty years of age. She had the same nut-brown hair as Silas and they shared the same eyes, dark and piercing. She was a most striking woman.
‘Smedley,’ uttered my friend, as we sat down. ‘May I introduce Marina, my beloved sister.’


What will Marina, the Mistress of Disguise, do next? Return tomorrow to read the final part of this exciting adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment