Pages

Thursday 20 December 2012

The Yarn of the Yuletide Visitation (Part Two)


And then – though I scarcely believed my eyes – a chimerical figure so transparent it was like they were made of cobwebs appeared into the room.
‘Silasssss,’ it said in a hoarse yet theatrical tone. ‘I have come for you, Silassss.’
It was a man, as far as I could tell, his face was quite deathlike, his mouth in a permanent gawp. He had chains wrapped around his midriff and legs.
‘My God, Morley, my old partner? Can it really be you?’
‘Yes, Silasss. I have returned from the grave to warn you to change your ways.’
‘The grave? You’re not dead, Morley, you moved to the Isle of Wight.’
‘Same thing, really.’ The ghost or whatever it may be flumped into an armchair and sighed heavily. ‘These chains are a bloody pain to carry.’
‘Wait, you said you have come to change my ways?’ Silas said, getting over the shock. ‘But I am known as the kindest, most generous man in the area. The people love me; why, just the other day children gave me bags of raisins in the street!’
‘I don’t think those were raisins,’ said I.
‘Nonsense,’ bellowed Morley. ‘You are a cold-hearted cad, Silas. You refuse poor homeless orphans into your great home, you are too cheap to pay for a living housekeeper and you charge Dr Smedley rent for spending time with you.’
‘Yes, I did have a query about that actually, Silas.’
‘Now you have gone too far,’ the ghost continued. ‘And you shall pay the price if you do not change your selfish ways…’
There was an almighty crack like lightning and then there in front of us in the carpet was a dirty, gunmetal grey gravestone, upon written was nothing but the moniker ‘Silas.’
‘This is your future if you continue as you are. Alone and unloved. Even in death!’
‘It wouldn't be all bad. I’ll be away from those scrounging children-‘
‘Yes, it would be bad!’
‘All right it’s bad!’ Silas shrieked.
A wind from nowhere in particular gathered in the room then. The ghost stood from his seat and stretched a silver finger at my friend. ‘Change!’
It was then that I began to feel woozy or rather more awake as the next thing I knew I was back in my chair. It was like I had awoken from a dream. Could it not have been real?
‘Smedley,’ said Silas, his eyes wild. ‘I just had the most enlightening experience! I dreamt – at least I think I did – that you and I were visited by my old –‘
‘By Jove, Silas, I dreamt the same! It is a Christmas miracle!’
‘It is indeed,’ Silas smiled. ‘For I feel like a new man, ready to open my heart to all who come knocking at my door.’
‘I am so pleased to hear you say so, Silas. Should I go fetch the old woman and her kin from the cold?’
‘No, I shouldn't bother, Smedley,’ said Silas, taking the last mince pie from the tray. ‘Just go get this month’s rent for me, would you?’

No comments:

Post a Comment